As Chicagoans gratefully welcome warmer temps, we’re ready to start toasting summer with Memorial Day food and drinks. One of the best ways to celebrate is with sparkling wine, and here are some fun ideas from Segura Viudas, one of Spain’s most popular maker of bubblies.
For beach or boat, throw a few Segura Viudas Brut Minis (~$6) in your bag alongside your sunscreen and life preserver. It’s enchanting to have your own little bottle of smooth bubbly whenever you want. OR if you’re going climbing or some other adventurous trip, take along a full-size bottle of Segura Viudas Gran Cuvée Reserva (~$14) to celebrate when you reach your goal.
If you just want to stay home and impress your friends or family with your cooking skills, stock a few bottles of the affordable and always-versatile cavas Segura Viudas Brut (~$10) or Segura Viudas Rosé Brut (~$10). Try Spicy Fish Tacos or build your own taco bar with spicy salsa from scratch. Cava goes great with spicy foods without turning up the heat.
And then, of course, if you just want to let the pros do all the work, you’ve got a ton of fun Chicago food and drink options. Here are 9 on the north side:
- CASTAWAYS BAR & GRILL, North Avenue Beach, is open all weekend serving salads, wraps, sandwiches, and quesadillas accompanied by frozen cocktails and even Corona in a can. Music, too.
- CLARK STREET DOG & BAR, 3040 N Clark St., starts the fun on Friday through Monday with $7 to $9 summer cocktails. Open 9 am til late night.
- COMMONWEALTH TAVERN, 2000 W. Roscoe, features $3 to $14 brunch items on Saturday and Sunday, with a $3 Build-Your- Own Mimosa Bar and $6 Build-Your- Own Bloody Mary Bar.
- FLAGSHIP, 1622 W. Belmont, introduces al fresco dining this Memorial Day. Choose from succulent brunch items 11 am to 3 pm on Saturday and Monday only.
- KANELA BREAKFAST CLUB, 5 north side locations, intros al fresco dining and a new bar menu this Memorial Day weekend. Check out special drink concoctions like Rosemary’s Bubbly (gin, fresh squeezed grapefruit, lemon and orange juices, rosemary syrup, a splash of prosecco, served on the rocks; $9).
- KIZUKI RAMEN & IZAKAYA, 1482 N. Milwaukee, Monday only for lunch or dinner, $4.50 (half-off regularly $9) Shochu Sake flights. Surprise yourself with this rich combination.
- MAK: MODERN ASIAN KITCHEN, 1924 W. Division, opens its small-but-charming patio for Memorial Day, serving the dynamic flavors of traditional Chinese cuisine with a healthy and modern twist.
- STRETCH BAR & GRILL, 3485 N. Clark St., offers 25-percent off and a free Stretch koozie to all Veterans with proof of Military ID. Check out their Cubs game day beer, shot and food specials.
- TAVERN ON LITTLE FORT, 4128 N. Lincoln Ave., has Saturday and Sunday deals on brunch items along with a $3 Build-Your- Own Mimosa Bar and $5 Build-Your- Own Bloody Mary Bar.